How Wi-Fi Extenders Work?
Unless you're going to rewire your house with Category-6 cables stuffed into the walls, the best way to augment the Wi-Fi signal already in your home is to use an extender. At its heart, an extender works by receiving the router's Wi-Fi signal and rebroadcasting it into virgin territory. This can spread the network's reach farther into a home or yard without pesky cables to hide.
The key is to pick the right place for the extender because as with most things in life, it all comes down to location, location, location. You need to find somewhere that's close enough to the router to grab a strong signal to rebroadcast but far enough away to extend the network's range to where it's needed.
Expect a little trial and error to find this happy spot. Each of the extenders has software that scans for the strongest Wi-Fi signals, and you need to optimize that along with the locations of your home's AC outlets to power the device. In other words, it's all a compromise.
The WFREPEAT300N Wireless-N Extender offers two selectable operating modes that enable it to be used as an Access Point or repeater, for either extending the range of existing wireless networks or adding wireless capabilities to a non-wireless network. Using a wall plug design, this allows for convenient or hidden placement anywhere there is an available AC outlet.
Used as a Wireless-N repeater, the WFREPEAT300N can expand the effective range of any 802.11n WiFi network, delivering up to 300Mbps of data bandwidth, by boosting the WiFi signal to help eliminate dead spots and provide a stronger signal in areas with obstructions which would typically reduce the wireless range. The WiFi range extender is also backward compatible with 802.11b/802.11g networks, for versatile network expansion with wireless routers that use older standards.
When used as a wireless access point (AP), the WFREPEAT300N can add Wireless-N capability to any non-wireless router, ensuring maximum convenience and network scalability. To provide maximum privacy and help prevent network intrusions, the Wireless-N Extender/Repeater offers a built-in firewall with IP, MAC Address and URL filtering, and supports common WiFi security protocols (WEP/WPA/WPA2).
- Switchable operating modes, enabling you to choose between WiFi Access Point (AP) and wireless network Repeater functions
- Convenient wall-plug design compatible with NA/UK/EU outlets
- Compliant with IEEE 802.11n (Wireless-N), with up to 300 Mbps of data bandwidth
- Backward compatible with IEEE 802.11g, and 802.11b WiFi networks
- Supports WEP, WPA and WPA2 wireless authentication
Built-in firewall with IP, MAC Address, and URL filtering
- Built-in configuration utility (web-based)
- Dual internal 2dBi antennas
- Color: White
- Type: Wireless Router, Repeater
- Interface: RJ45
- Signal Range: 30-50M
- Transmission Rate: 300Mbps
- WIFI Transmission Protocol: 802.11b/n/g
- Wireless Security: 64/128 bit WEP,WPA-PSK,WPA2-PSK
- Support System: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Mac OS, Windows 2000
- Package Weight: 0.199 kg
- Product size (L x W x H): 11.00 x 6.00 x 5.00 cm / 4.33 x 2.36 x 1.97 inches
- Package size (L x W x H): 22.00 x 14.50 x 9.00 cm / 8.66 x 5.71 x 3.54 inches
What find in the box? The box included everything that you need to get started:
- 1 x WR01 Wireless-N WiFi Repeater
- 1 x Network Cable (60cm)
- 1 x Power Plug
- 1 x English User Manual